Library Director Position Job Description
Job opening for director, Franklin Parish Library
The Franklin Parish Library serves a population of approximately 20,000 people with the main
library located in downtown Winnsboro. An additional branch is located in Wisner. The main
library consists of three adjoining buildings: the Genealogy Center, the Main Library and the
Learning Center with a total square footage of approximately 28,000. The library is currently in
phase two of a renovation project. The library has a well-trained staff of 10, including full time
and part time workers.
The director reports to the Library Board of Control which is made up of five members
appointed by the Franklin Parish Police Jury and includes on ex officio member.
The director is responsible for public library administrative duties, including:
• Implementing board-approved policies
• Fiscal responsibility of annual budget
• Hiring and supervising employees
• Collection development
• Facilities management
• Public relations
• Supervision of current construction project
The preferred candidate has:
• A Master’s of Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited institution of
other advanced degree with library certification. Candidates with bachelor’s and advanced
degrees in other areas may also be considered.
• At least three years of previous library experience with administrative or supervisory
experience, preferably in the public library sector. Comparable experience will be considered.
• A Louisiana State Library Board of Library Examiners certification or able to pass the
test within three years of employment
• Knowledge and experience in financial management and budgeting, human resources
management, collection development, use and development of technology, public relations
and communication, E-rate and grant writing.
• Ability to work with government, educational and community groups.
• Directs (including planning, supervising, organizing and coordinating) the operation of
the library system.
• Acts as secretary of the Library Board of Control.
• Recommends and implements all policies approved by the library board.
• Facilitates information, management and fiscal responsibility of the annual budget.
• Plays a leading role in tax elections, bond issues and other funding initiatives.
• Develops long-range objectives and goals.
• Promotes the library through community involvement.
• Supervises library personnel (including hiring, continuing education, annual
evaluations, discipline and firing)
• Participates in the process to obtain and manage federal E-rate funding and grants
• Maintains a library collection that meets the changing needs of today’s patrons
• Communicates in a professional and effective manner
• Oversees maintenance and security of facilities, systems and grounds.
• Exercises direct and indirect supervision of the following:
Library services and programs;
automation and technical services.
• Performs other duties as required.
Salary: $60,000 plus, depending on qualifications and experience
Benefits: Generous package of vacation, holiday and sick leave, health insurance and
Application deadline: March 22, 2023
To apply: Resume’ plus three professional references may be emailed to:
• Leslie Young (board president) firstname.lastname@example.org
• Linda Lochbrunner (interim director) email@example.com
For more information, contact Linda Lochbrunner at (318)435-4336 or email her at the above
A criminal background check and drug screening are part of the pre-hire process. Facilities are
non-smoking. The library does not discriminate based on age, race, ethnicity, national origin,
religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, medical history or other non-merit